|Source of Information
Routine Food Surveillance Programme
Prepackaged red chili flake
|Product Name and Description
Brand: Passion by Mama
Product name: Red Chili Flakes
Place of origin: India
Distributor: Co Op Buy Ltd.
Net weight: 80 grams per pack
Best-before date: September 5, 2023
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) collected the above-mentioned sample from an online shop for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test result showed that the sample contained Sudan I at a level of 0.179 parts per million and Sudan IV at a level of 0.043 parts per million.
- Sudan dyes are synthetic chemical dyes for industrial use. Under the Colouring Matter in Food Regulations (Cap. 132H), sudan dyes are not permitted in food. The maximum penalty upon conviction is a fine of $50,000 and six months' imprisonment.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the vendor concerned of the irregularity and instructed it to stop sale and remove from shelves the affected batch of the product. The distributor concerned has initiated a recall according to the CFS's instructions.
- The CFS also tracing the source of the affected batch of the product.
- The CFS has alerted the trade and will continue to follow up on the case and take appropriate action. An investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the product concerned immediately if they possess it.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected batch of the product if they have bought any.
The CFS press
- Members of the public may call its hotline at 5132 5916 during office hours for enquiries about the recall.
Photos for reference only:
Reposted from HKSAR Government webpage: