The use of essential oils has caused a few fire accidents again. Therefore, the Consumer Council outlines the main points of its earlier test report on essential oils and their vaporisers for consumers' reference.
The Flash Point of a liquid is the lowest temperature at which it will generate sufficient vapour to form an ignitable vapour/air mixture. In general, if a liquid has a flash point below 60° C, it is regarded as a flammable liquid.
Most essential oils have flash points below 60° C and therefore are flammable liquids.
If organic solvents, such as ethanol or isopropanol (flash point below 13° C ), is added to products of essential oils, the products would become even more flammable.
To avoid fire accidents, users of essential oils must be very careful.
Pay attention to the followings when you store essential oils:
When you use essential oils, bear in mind the followings:
Pay attention to the followings when you use essential oil vaporisers:
Pay attention to the followings when you use electrical essential oil vaporisers:
Ceramic vaporisers tend to be cracked more easily. If you find any cracks on a vaporiser, don't use it.
When a vaporiser is in use, don't touch the surface of it and the water or essential oil in it.
Don't add too much water to the vaporisers so as to avoid the water from overflowing and thus make the outside of the vaporisers or the power cords wet.
When you finish using the vaporiser, remove the oil and water. This is to avoid wetting of the outside of vaporiser or the power in case the vaporiser is accidentally overturned.
Don't keep the vaporisers on for a long time, turn it off when not in use.