The Consumer Council today (September 24) released its weekly price survey on a basket of 40 food and household items available at major supermarket chains and other retail outlets in the Yuen Long District.
In the analysis were listed the top 10 products with the most price differences found in this survey. Top on the list was: Chicken Franks 340.2g ($7.5 to $11.9, or a price difference of 58.7%).
Following closely were: Fried Noodle - Chilli Sauce 120g ($5 to $7.6, or 52%); Tropical Fruit Mix 850g (from $10.5 to $15.9, or 51.4%); Pre-wash Stain Remover Lemon 300g ($16 to $23.5, or 46.9%); Roaches Killer Fastest Kill 600ml ($29.5 to $42.9, or 45.4%).
The remainders of the top 10 list were: Cheese Cocktail Sausages 160g ($14 to $19.9, or 42.1%); Furniture Polish Lemon 330ml ($29 to $39.8, or 37.2%); Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 420g ($9 to $12.3, or 36.7%); Sheer Volume Shampoo 750ml ($45 to $59.9, or 33.1%); Active Deodorant Shower Gel 650mlx2 ($49.5 to $65.8, or 32.9%).
Other highlights in this weekly price survey covering (a) prepackaged food products, (b) household and personal care products, and (c) fresh produce, include:
- A total of 25 items in this category at 8 retail outlets, from major supermarket chains to frozen food and grocery stores in the Yuen Long District, were compared for their prices.
- Considerable differences between the lowest and the highest unit prices were recorded, ranging from 0.3% to 58.7%.
- Overall, major supermarket chains were generally more expensive, but a number of items were offered at discounted prices at major supermarket chains for bulk purchase. For example, three major supermarket chains offered Shrimp Shao Mao Dim Sum 10 pieces at a discounted price of $25.9 for 3 packs, averaging $8.6 each; one major supermarket chain offered Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 420g buy-two-get-one free discount at $12.3, averaging $8.2 each, thus comparable or slightly cheaper than the other retail outlets.
Household/Personal Care Products
- A total of 10 items in this category at 7 retail outlets was surveyed, with price differences ranging from 10.6% to 46.9%.
- Overall, prices at major supermarket chains and health-and-beauty chain stores were generally higher than those at drugstores, but some offered price discount incentives for bulk purchase. One major supermarket chain, for example, offered Pre-wash Stain Remover Lemon 300g at $42 for 2 items, averaging $21 each, but even after price discount, drugstores were still comparatively cheaper.
- Due to possible variations in the place of origin, quality, size or freshness of fresh produce, direct price comparison is considered not suitable.
- A total of 5 items from 2 to 3 stalls at the Yuen Long Tung Yick Market and 2 major supermarket chains were included in the survey for reference of consumers.
Results of the weekly price survey are available on the Council's website, its Consumer Advice Centres, and the Public Enquiry Service Centre of Yuen Long District Office.