|Source of Information|
Centre for Food Safety
|Product Name and Description|
Product name: Dana Macar Salam (Salami Beef sliced)
Net weight: 60 grams
Distributor: LETPACIFIC FOOD COMPANY LIMITED
Best-before date: December 20, 2022
|Reason For Issuing Alert|
- The CFS collected the above-mentioned sample from an online retail outlet for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test result showed that the sample contained sulphur dioxide.
- Although the sulphur dioxide level is below the maximum permitted level under the Preservatives in Food Regulation (Cap. 132BD), the functional class and name of the additive were not declared on the food label.
- Sulphur dioxide is a commonly used preservative in a variety of foods including dried vegetables, dried fruits, pickled vegetables and salted fish products. Sulphur dioxide is water soluble, and most of it can be removed through washing and cooking. However, susceptible individuals who are allergic to this preservative may experience breathing difficulties, headaches and nausea after consumption.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety|
- The CFS has informed the vendor concerned of the irregularity and instructed it to stop sale and remove from shelves the affected batch of the product.
- According to the CFS's instructions, the distributor concerned has initiated a recall on the affected batch of the product.
- The CFS will alert the trade to the incident, continue to follow up and take appropriate action. An investigation is ongoing.
|Advice to the Trade|
- Stop using or selling the affected products immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers|
- Consumers should not consume the products.
The CFS press release
Members of the public may call the hotline of the distributor concerned at 2612 2309 during office hours for enquiries about the recall of the product concerned.
Photos for reference only:
Reposted from HKSAR Government webpage: