In view of the current widespread of COVID-19 and to reduce social contact, consumers are advised to call our hotline at 2929 2222 or make use of our web forms via the following links:
Consumers may also call our hotline at 2929 2222 for gift redemption and enquiry services at our Consumer Advice Centres by appointment if needed.
CFS urges public to stop consuming boletes suspected to contain mixture of species including inedible or poisonous mushrooms
The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department today (July 2) called on the public to stop consuming a batch of prepackaged boletes as the product is suspected to contain a mixture of species including inedible or poisonous species.
Product details are as follows:
Product: (not available in English)
Place of origin: China
Net weight: 113.4 grams per pack
Retailer: (not available in English)
Best-before date: December 31, 2021
A CFS spokesman said, "Following up on a food poisoning case suspected to have been caused by consuming boletes, which was referred earlier by the Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health, samples were collected from one of the retail outlets concerned in Sham Shui Po for testing during its investigation. According to an assessment by a mycologist on the samples and the boletes remnant of the case, the boletes concerned contained inedible or poisonous species of mushrooms.
The spokesman further said, "The CFS has also followed up with the importer, distributor and retailer of the affected product. Preliminary investigation showed that the affected batch of product was for sale at the retail outlets of the aforesaid retailer. The Centre has requested the retailer concerned to stop sale and initiate a recall of the affected batch of the product. Members of the public may call its hotline at 3188 3141 during office hours for enquiries about the recall."
The CFS urged members of the public who have purchased and still possess the affected batch of the product to stop consuming it, and to seek medical advice immediately if symptoms develop after consuming the product.
Mushroom poisoning is generally acute and manifested by a variety of symptoms, depending on the species and amount consumed. The incubation period is usually short. Gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are the commonest symptoms. Sometimes distinguishing features such as extreme thirst, profuse sweating, hallucination, coma and other neurological symptoms may occur.
Consumers are advised to heed the following points when buying and eating fresh mushrooms:
Do not buy mushroom products which are doubted to have carried a mix of unknown species;
Do not buy mushrooms which look unhygienic (with growing substrates left with the product) or show signs of spoilage (with coloured spots/abnormal smell/slime, etc);
Wash and cook mushrooms thoroughly before consumption; and
Seek medical treatment immediately if mushroom poisoning is suspected.
The CFS will continue to follow up on the case and take necessary action to safeguard food safety and public health.
Reposted from HKSAR Government webpage: